Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Holy to the Lord

This morning is one of those new beginnings Charles Finney called the definition of "revival." Inspired by Bill Hybel's "coffee with God," I am seated in my favorite recliner before dawn, sipping strong black coffee, reading from McCheyne's calendar. These three men God has used to put me in a place where I can encounter God, reflect on His Word and get some clarity for the days before us.

Exodus 28 is one of those passages we're prone to dismiss as Old Testament typology fulfilled in Christ and too tedious to read. It describes in great detail the garments of Aaron the priest, skillfully made with specific materials appointed by God. The key word throughout is "holy." They are holy garments (v.2) worn by Aaron in the holy place (v.4' 29) as he attends to holy things and holy gifts (v.38). on his turban is attached a plate, engraved in gold, that reads, "holy to the Lord" (V. 36).

In each case the word, "holy" carries the meaning, "set apart by God." God met me in His Word this morning to remind me that everything - from the clothes I wear, the things He has given me to do, and the places I frequent are (or ought to be) set apart for His glory. It is truly a different way of looking at life in every detail.






No comments: