Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Living Thanks

As with so many things, thanksgiving is easier practiced occasionally than as a lifestyle. Sitting at Starbucks on Thanksgiving Eve, I can't help but overhear a young couple sharing why they are thankful for each other. He says, "I'm thankful that you take my calls." She responds, "I'm thankful for your calls. I really am!"

That glimpse into a relationship reminds me of how shallow our thanksgiving can be as Christians. Two weeks ago our daughter went to the doctor about a suspicious mole on her leg. A biopsy revealed the possibility of Melanoma and was sent to a pathologist in Boston. As concern grew, I rested in those Philippians verses I have often shared with others: "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." I had always focused on the word "peace," but this time I began to give thanks. I thanked God for His perfect character and attributes, His blessing on our family over the years and for many other things as they came to mind.

As we waited for the results, worry gave place to a settled peace that came, I am convinced, because my mind was so full of who God is and what He had done in the past. We received good news two days before Thanksgiving that the growth was non-cancerous, often mistaken for Melanoma. Of course we were relieved and joyful, but with this came a lesson on the difference between giving thanks (occasionally) and living thanks. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: