Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Call me Jacob

Abraham had twin sons, Isaac and Esau. I can't relate to Esau, a man of the field, alpha-male, hunter-gatherer. But Jacob, a momma's boy, preferring to stay home among the tents, loved to cook what Esau killed. I am all of those things.

So much for cultural roles! Call it "getting in touch with my feminine side" but Jacob is my defense. He is why I held a loaded rifle in my hands on the first day of a hunting season and watched a family of deer pass safely in front of me, meandering into the woods. He is why I used to hover around my mother in the kitchen, an ornery student of the culinary arts. He is why I persistently decline offers to go snowmobiling, hiking or kayaking. Call me Jacob!

Who we are in the sight of others is not nearly as important as who we are in the sight of God. God used and loved men of every personality type. But He loved Jacob and hated Esau... just because (Romans 9.6-18). In some remarkable way, God designed me in a certain way that fits His plan. So call me Jacob!

No comments: