Monday, April 2, 2012

Passages

"The glory of young men is their strength, gray hair the splendor of the old. " (Proverbs 20.29) I find myself inbetween two stages of life. I "feel" as strong as ever, work out regularly and have no physical limitations. At the same time, my hair is graying from the temples upward and my 58th birthday approaches in May.

I have heard the laments of the elderly and have read the preacher's chilling account of the "evil days" (Ecclesiastes 12), but up to now they have always applied to others than myself. I have yet to acknowledge that strength is the glory of young men and to embrace the splendor of age. As I continue the transition from one to another, I am comforted to know that I am a work in progress and that my truest glory will only be realized in the presence of God. Until that time I celebrate every passage in time that leads me closer.

No comments: